I divided the papers into 3 piles: Scan and Toss, File, and Trash Can.
I grabbed an antique canning jar from the kitchen for my pens and borrowed a lamp from the living room. The top of the table is looking better but the stuff underneath it is still bugging me. What I need is some kind of table skirt to hide it. Lurking in the back of my closet I found a bolt of fabric I bought years ago to make new curtains. Never happened. Not likely to anytime soon.
I measured around the two sides of the table that are showing and cut a piece of the fabric a little longer than that measurement. Actually "cut" is not accurate. I ripped it. If I stopped to find my sewing scissors I would lose momentum. Ditto the sewing machine. So.....
I folded the fabric in half lengthwise and then folded the top over that to make it the right length from the floor. Did I bother to hem it? No I did not. The selvedge edge works just fine. Then I got out my hammer and some upholstery tacks. I tacked the two ends first and then worked my way to the corner where I made a small pleat.
I also got some help from my trusty glue gun. Of course I burnt my fingers! Small price to pay.
|Yes my carpet is ugly. Don't judge. We'll get around to it eventually.|
And here is the finished project. The milk crate of files to the right will be replaced with a new filing cabinet soon. Realistically, this desk will probably be too small and I will have to commandeer the dining table when I start to inventory all my inherited "stuff". But for now, I feel good about what I've accomplished in a couple of hours. It's a start.